Sunday 6 March 2016

Kindle vs Books: The Great Debate



About two years ago, I wrote a post on e-readers vs physical books. I looked at the pros and cons of both but didn't actually own an e-reader myself (we have a family one, but I wasn't allowed to buy things on it at the time!). I received a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas 2015, and safe to say, I'm very happy with it. Although I haven't used it much since receiving it (I'm trying to half my physical TBR), it really is so handy. 

So what do I think of e-readers now that I have one myself? 
Well, I've found mine to be extremely handy. They're small, compact, can fit hundreds of books on them (although my Kindle library is at roughly 10-15 so far) and with mine, I can read well into the night with it. One thing I really like is how much shelf space I save as although I love having my pretty books on my shelves, I recently ran out of space and my books started stacking up on the floor until I thankfully bought a new shelf, but that's almost full and although I do have extra space on my old shelves, I know I'll fill that up in no time, so therefore, my Kindle is ideal.

What I've found out when I read my Kindle books, is that I read them at a much faster rate than physical books. I'm not entirely sure why, I wonder if it's because I can see how long it would take me to read a book at the bottom and that spurs me on, but I've definitely found that I read books a lot quicker on my Kindle!

Having a Kindle, for me, is a perfect solution to my almost overflowing shelves. I'm actually planning to take it to America with me in the Summer as 1) many books for the flight and 2) more luggage space to bring those nice US edition books back with me! I best get looking for some extra shelf space in my room!


Do I prefer to read one over the other?
Not at all. I love physical books in my hand more than my Kindle, but I love how my Kindle tells me exactly how long it would take me to complete a book, which a physical book can't do. There are pro's and con's to each of them, but ultimately as long as I'm reading something, I don't mind the format. Although, I do love the pretty covers on physical books!


Would I recommend getting an e-reader?
I most definitely would. Although I don't use mine a massive amount as I'm trying to whittle down my physical TBR, an e-reader is just so convenient and takes up so much less bag and shelf space. Like I said, there are pro's and con's to each, but I feel like a Kindle is definitely worth the investment. I know that just because I have a Kindle, it doesn't mean I will stop buying physical books. In fact, I buy a lot of my books from Amazon anyway, and a lot of them are from Independent Sellers on there, and if a physical book is cheaper from an independent seller in comparison to Kindle, then you can betcha I'll be buying the physical copy!


So there you have it, that's my opinion on the great e-reader vs physical books debate now that I finally have my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment