Sunday 29 June 2014

The View: To All The Boys I've Loved Before

Title: To All The Boys I've Loved Before
Author: Jenny Han
Pages: 355
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Source: Bought
Rating: Amazing

Summary (from Good Reads): 
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

First of all, sorry for going off the radar! I had an exam Tuesday and started a new job (which I'm a bit unsure of) so have been quite busy this week!

To All The Boys I've Loved Before is the first Jenny Han book that I have actually ever read, and I was not disappointed at all!

To All the Boys was an exciting book to read. First of all, I was itching to know who had sent the letters out in the first place. I obviously had my suspicions, but this wasn't confirmed till the last couple of pages! I liked this as it meant that the question wasn't answered half way through, plus it made for a good ending. Second of all, I loved seeing Lara Jean's relationships grow with others. I also liked seeing Lara Jean come into her own, without her older sister there to guide her.

You know, there were times when I wanted to slap Lara Jean, and just said in my head 'what are you playing at?', which is good as it meant that I was totally engaged with the story. Honestly, as a main character, Lara Jean was likeable enough and I enjoyed reading from her perspective, but she just seemed so naive and innocent.

I have to say, my two favourite characters were Kitty and Peter. Kitty was a very likeable character, as was Peter. I loved Kitty's want for a dog, and the way she got on with both of the main guy characters in the books. I thought that Kitty was a great character in the book, and I was happy to see that there were plenty of scenes that she was mentioned in. The same goes for Peter. He seemed like such an easy going character, but I loved how the relationship between himself and Lara Jean developed. He just seems like such a sweetheart!

In contrast to the characters I liked mentioned above, one character that annoyed my ever so slightly, was the other main guy character, Josh. Again, he was likeable enough, but there was a time in the book where I just thought 'UGH'! If you've read the book, you probably know what I mean..or I hope so!

One thing I really liked the Jenny Han incorporated was the feature of culture. I loved how, although Lara Jean's mother was gone, her Dad made sure to feature the Korean side of Lara Jean and her sisters. I thought this was a great addition to the story as it wasn't just a book about Lara Jean and her love letters that were sent out, it was also a book that featured heritage. You know what, kudos to Jenny Han for this, because I really liked this little feature. It wasn't overwhelming, but it was just nice to see this little inclusion of culture.

I've heard a few things about how Jenny Han is creating a sequel to this book. I can't even describe my feelings other than saying that I'm so looking forward to reading that one when it comes out - I can't wait to hear more about Lara Jean and what's going on in her life..just hopefully there aren't any more love letters she's written!


Have you read To All The Boys? If so, what did you think? If not, are you hoping to read it soon? Is it sat on your TBR list, or are you currently reading it now? Let me know what you thought of To All The Boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment