Friday 9 May 2014

Book View: Anna and the French Kiss

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Source: Bought
Rating: 4.5/5

Anna is less than thrilled to be shipped off to boarding school in Paris, leaving a fledgling romance behind - until she meets Etienne St Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Etienne has it all... including a girlfriend. But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with a longed-for French kiss?

Oh my gosh. This book totally captured my heart and had me head over heels, wanting to read it at any time, all the time. If you follow me on twitter, you've probably noticed that I've been talking about Anna and the French Kiss a hell of a lot lately. It's taken me a couple of days to read it, but I've finally finished it now and how I wish that it was even longer. Stephanie Perkins - if you are reading this, PLEASE do a sequel to Anna and Etienne's story…PLEASE.

So you know when you read a book and you kind of just cannot get it out of your head? I was like this. I actually ended up starting to get into the 'just one more teeny tiny chapter' thing and then I'd read about 5. I'd be reading it the morning if I had a spare 5-10 minutes and as soon as I got home. I even had an interview yesterday evening and as I turned up early, I ended up sitting in my car, reading this! Can you tell I'm fairly attached?

My Thoughts
Well, I'm probably a bit biased on this, but I'll try my hardest not to be! I really enjoyed this book for a number of reasons. First of all, the book was set in PARIS. I've been bugging my boyfriend a whole lot more since I started reading this with 'TAKE ME TO PARIS' requests. I loved how descriptive the story was of the setting was at every time. Also, culture. There was a huge French culture theme in this book which I really enjoyed. I also liked how this book also included friendship and family issues. I think this book dealt with a lot of things in a really good way.

My second reason for liking this book was Anna. Where do I start? I loved Anna as a character. She was just so relatable, that I could not get over it! You know when you read some books and the character is just a teeny tiny too unrealistic? Well this is nothing like that. I instantly felt connected to Anna, and even though we have not gone through the same things at all, I felt that I could really connect with her as a character. Plus, I loved being in her mind! Also, there were times when I really did feel sorry for her, and I think this is not only because I felt connected to her, but also because the situations and the feelings that you get in those situations were portrayed so well.

My third and final reason for as to why I liked this book is that it made me feel so many things. It made me happy, confused, annoyed, and at times, it would make me cringe. This book pretty much dragged me through all kinds of feelings.

I know, you're probably thinking 'is there ANYTHING bad about this book?' Well, no, technically not, particularly not to me, but there were a few things I picked out, such as how back and forth it was. This wasn't an issue throughout the whole book, but at some points, I thought that it was a bit back and forth and 'loves me, loves me not'. There were also parts that just  I think there were probably a few other reasons, but this is one that I picked up on.

So would you recommend it?
100%, definitely would. I enjoyed this book so much, and would really recommend it to anyone who likes/loves contemporary YA, but also to someone who just wants a light, but fun and flirty read. Also, if you like Paris, you should definitely get a load of this book!


Have you read this book? What did you think? If you haven't read it, is it a book you think you might be interested in? 

No comments:

Post a Comment