Saturday 24 May 2014

Book View: Don't Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski

Title: Don't Even Think About It 
Author: Sarah Mlynowski
Publisher: Hachette Children's Books
Source: NetGalley
Rating: 4/5

We weren't always like this. We used to be average New York City high school sophomores. Until our homeroom went for flu shots. We were prepared for some side effects. Maybe a headache. Maybe a sore arm. We definitely didn't expect to get telepathic powers. But suddenly we could hear what everyone was thinking. Our friends. Our parents. Our crushes. Now we all know that Tess is in love with her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That, um, Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper.

Since we've kept our freakish skill a secret, we can sit next to the class brainiac and ace our tests. We can dump our boyfriends right before they dump us. We know what our friends really think of our jeans, our breath, our new bangs. We always know what's coming. Some of us will thrive. Some of us will crack. None of us will ever be the same.

So stop obsessing about your ex. We're always listening.


First of all, big thank you to Hachette Children's Books for approving me for this book - my first approval on NetGalley, woohoo!

Holyyyyy smokes this book was so good for me, I loved it and cannot wait for the second one to come out! I'll be waiting a long time though as this was only released this month. I think I might be a little late to the party as I've seen quite a few bloggers with ARCs, but what the heck! I really liked this book and  wanted to get my thoughts down about it as soon as possible so I don't forget anything.

My Thoughts
I really liked the story line of this book. I mean, it's a book about telepathy (not a spoiler because it mentions in the blurb!) which is one of those 'super powers' I always wanted as a kid…as well as having the ability to become invisible! But honestly, I thought it was a great storyline. It didn't focus on one person, it focused on all the characters which I thought was really nice. I think it focused more on some of the characters obviously, but there was a nice contrast between them, and seeing how they came together over their power was really nice to see. Also, some of the thoughts people had and some of the things in the book did actually make me giggle a little - I love it when books do that!

I thought this book was quite fast paced. It seemed like there was always something happening, which is good because it did keep my attention, but the book went by so fast, which kind of makes me sad because I wanted to keep reading for a little longer. I'm not sure how many pages there are in the physical copy of this book, but I had a Kindle version (Kindle app!) and that had just under 2499 pages. 

I have to say, for me, this book did come across as very teenagers. You know, that's not a problem at all, but it makes me want to recommend it to my younger sister and all her friends. 

So why did I give this a 4 if I liked it so much? The ending of the book seemed so sudden to me. Yes, the book is fast paced, but I felt that the ending was abrupt. I am wondering if this was the whole point, and if it was to work as a cliffhanger, but I do think the ending could've been dragged out a little over 2 or 3 pages. It just seemed so sudden to me. That said, again, I did really enjoy this book. 

Would you recommend?
Um, yes, duh! I totally would recommend this book. It's a great read, I love the cover, and it made me laugh! So yes, I'd definitely recommend this book to anybody that likes YA that's contemporary, but also features paranormal elements, as well as an added dose of comedy. 


Have you read this book? What did you think? If not, do you want to read it? Let me know your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment