Tuesday 13 May 2014

Book View: Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne

Title: Monument 14
Author: Emmy Laybourne
Source: Bought
Rating: 4/5

Your mother hollers that you’re going to miss the bus. She can see it coming down the street. You don’t stop and hug her and tell her you love her. You don’t thank her for being a good, kind, patient mother. Of course not—you launch yourself down the stairs and make a run for the corner.Only, if it’s the last time you’ll ever see your mother, you sort of start to wish you’d stopped and did those things. Maybe even missed the bus.But the bus was barreling down our street, so I ran.Fourteen kids. One superstore. A million things that go wrong. 

Another great book that I've read within the two weeks. I actually found out about this one via Amber  at the Mile Long Bookshelf. If you follow me on twitter, you probably saw that I tweeted a photo including this one for my 'what do you think I should read next' tweet (yes, that's what I'm calling it..).

I really enjoyed this book. So much that I ended up adding it to my amazon basket pretty much straight after I'd finished it, and was about to buy it until my boyfriend reminded me not to buy anymore books until I've finished the others that I've got left to read (BUT THERE ARE SO MANY GOOD BOOKS ABOUT THAT I WANT TO BUY)

My Thoughts
Ok, first of all. 14 kids stuck in a superstore. Who wouldn't want to be stuck in a superstore with so much food and stuff? Um, clearly not these kids! This book was pretty fast paced if I'm honest. I'm a great lover of zombie things (even if they do scare me at times) so I thought this was going to end up having a bit of a streak like that but no undead creatures in this book, folks! I really enjoyed this one, especially since it was very different in comparison to the book I read previously (Anna and the French Kiss). I think this book was pretty action packed, it was clever in places, and the 14 kids left in the superstore, it was quite a contrast, but how clever they were is something that really got me.

There were parts where I was like 'COME ON, JUST GET RID OF THIS CHARACTER' because oh my gosh, some of them were so annoying, and there were other parts where I was totally in love with everything about the story.

Now in terms of rating, I've been uming and ahing about whether to give this book a 3.5 or 4. I've given this book a 4/5 mainly because it's different to everything else I've read. But the reason why I've given this book this rating is because although in a way I think this book is aimed at younger teenagers, but there's also content that is aimed at older teenagers. I think this book manages to connect well with a range of ages, plus it makes for a fun read. Plus, it's set in the future, and imagine if what happened to them, actually happened!

So would you recommend it?
I would recommend this book. It's more nitty gritty and a bit of a thriller, so very different to my previous read, but if you want something that has action in it, you should definitely, definitely read this book!


Have you read Monument 14? What did you think? If you haven't read it, is it a book you think you might be interested in? 

No comments:

Post a Comment